Subject: PORTTOOL.ZIP - 16 Unix-like tools ported to MS-DOS
From: Frank Whaley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1993 19:01:57 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc

The file PORTTOOL.ZIP has been uploaded, and contains the following programs:

  cat     - concatenate files
  chmod   - change file modes
  cp      - copy files
  date    - display or set system date and time
  du      - disk usage
  head    - list top lines from files
  ld      - link editor emulator
  ls      - list directories
  mv      - move files
  pr      - print files
  rm      - remove files
  strings - find printable strings in a file
  tail    - display the last part of a file
  touch   - update access and modification times of files
  tr      - translate characters
  wc      - word counter

I use these programs to assist me in porting applications between MS-DOS, 
OS/2, and Unix.  Used in concert with Data Logic's SH.EXE, Dennis Vadura's 
DMAKE.EXE, and RCS, I can fool people into thinking that I'm using my PC 
as a terminal connected to a Unix machine.

Where applicable, these programs provide sh-style file globbing (instead 
of the standard DOS wildcard matching).  I find this useful because they 
are supposed to be Unix knockoffs.  Both single- and double-quotes are 
supported.  Long argument lists (over 126 bytes) can be passed using 
either the MKS(tm) method (arguments passed in the environment, also used 
by DMAKE), or by specifying "@file" as the first argument, where "file" 
contains the argument list.

I also include pre-formatted manual pages.  A program like 'less' can 
display these with bold and underlined text in colors.  The 'pr' program 
can print them nicely on a LaserJet.  Each of these programs responds to 
a "-h" argument by printing a short help message.

Regards,
Frank Whaley, Software Engineer
WordStar International
[email-masked] | ...!apple!well!few