Subject: v01i031: me, a small, programmable editor
From: [email-masked] (Craig Durland)
Date: 28 Nov 88 00:55:26 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc

Posting-number: Volume 01 Issue 031
Originally-from: Craig Durland <[email-masked]>
Submitted-by: Craig Durland <[email-masked]>
Archive-name: me_cd

[ ME is written by the submitter, Craig Durland.  To avoid possible
confusion with Micro-Emacs, I have renamed the archive and its various
parts to me_cd after the author's initials. -- R.D. ]

ME is a small, extendable Emacs-like editor that runs on IBM PCs, XTs
and ATs.  Standalone, ME is pretty mundane - you need to customize it
to make full use of it.  A compiled language is provided for this as
well as lots of example programs:  a C mode, paren matching, a visual
towers of hanoi, incremental searching, programmer's calculator, mark
rings, picture mode (from GNU Emacs), gomoku (from GNU Emacs) and lots
more.

Craig Durland	craig@hp-pcd

[
This editor is highly flexible.  A Lisp-like reasonably structured
command language is used to create small procedures that are then bound
to a key or key combination of your choice;  when you hit those keys,
the procedure gets executed.  In effect you are using an editing engine
that you can program as you wish.  This package includes a large number
of such procedures already created for you.  The command language is
compiled into pseudo-code that is then interpreted by the editor.  This
pseudo-code is machine-independent, so any implementation of ME on any
system should be able to use the procedures you write.  The screen can
be vertically split into multiple windows (I didn't try to see how
many).  It seems that WordStar-like two-key sequences are possible,
because up to four prefix keys can be used.  I did not investigate this
in detail.

ME seems to be limited to editing files that fit in memory.  Cursor
movement had some surprises, though that probably reflects my own
bias.

Despite its "free" status, ME is a professionally-done product.
Although the documentation is somewhat fragmented, enough information
seems to be there to allow you to tap the full power of the editor.

ME comes in more than one version.  The one included here (in the file
MEPC.EXE) is suitable only for systems that aren't troubled by the
infamous Snow produced by IBM's earlier graphics video display
hardware.

(No version number;  the executable is dated 5 Sept 1988.)

-- R.D.
]